Since its first documented appearance in 1142 as “Dolchet”, Dalkeith has had a varied history in social, political, industrial and commercial terms.
The parish has the distinction of having, over the years, perhaps more religious bodies with their associated buildings, than any comparable parish in Scotland.
Throughout the years the town / burgh has supported many industries, hugely significant at the time; an extensive iron foundry, grain mills, a brush factory, a nearby paper mill and a carpet factory.
Despite the above the town was plagued with appalling housing conditions in the central area. This inevitably resulted in the harrowing details of childhood mortality evident on the visible memorials and in the records.
Today, with its more modern town centre (not to everyone's taste!) it is an important commercial centre and the administration centre for Midlothian.
Memorials to several notable people from the town are recorded in the books, among them the following:
- In St Nicholas' Churchyard (plot 95) - Adam John Walker, captain of the S. S. “Geneffe” who died when the cargo of benzene exploded in Sumatra in 1902.
- In the New Burial Ground (plot C38) - Prof. William Robertson, Principal of the Royal Veterinary College, London.
- In the Cemetery (plot B28) - Ernest Orford Ballantyne, Commander, R.N., captain of H.M.S. “Viknor” which was lost at sea in 1915 in unexplained circumstances.
- In the New Cemetery (plot T100) - James Martin Stagg, C.B., O.B.E., meteorologist to General Eisenhower and the invasion forces in June 1944.
Dalkeith 1 - Old Churchyards, Churches, War & other memorials
Dalkeith 2 - The Cemetery (solely)
250 pages A4 format
£10.00 (plus postage)
Dalkeith 3 - The New Cemetery (solely) Available mid 2016 approx.
DetailsApprox. 200 pages A4 format
Approx. £9.00 (plus postage)