The mining village of Rosewell is part of the Lasswade parish but gained its own quoad sacra church in 1887. The Hawthornden in the title refers to the nearby castle and hamlet. As well as the parish church (now linked with Cockpen), there is a Roman Catholic chapel, famous for its all-brick construction. Hawthornden Cemetery holds many former residents of Rosslynlee Hospital (formerly the Midlothian Asylum) and St Joseph’s Hospital, which supported people with physical and learning difficulties. St Joseph’s, which occupied Whitehill House from the 1920s to 1999, also has its own private burial ground. It is actually within Carrington parish but is included in this book because of its community links to Rosewell.